Hacker News new | past | comments | ask | show | jobs | submit login
Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook page was hacked by an unemployed web developer (washingtonpost.com)
189 points by chrisdinn on Aug 19, 2013 | hide | past | favorite | 161 comments

Although this is blogspam, it's a blogspam that I can actually support...

This is being covered a lot more widely because FB didn't just pay the guy. I know it wasn't about money for FB, but this is easily done a lot more damage then they would have expected and because of their inadequate handling of a single bug report, I can only feel satisfied as I think this will go down as a good case study of how not to be so dismissive with critical bugs.

(I still think they should pay the guy, and it should be double the $5k he would have expected to receive).

Dismissive and ignored? Did you read what he submitted to them? It made no sense. He vaguely stated that there was a bug and his education. His bug report was nonsensical. I am not even slightly surprised they ignored it. And he violated the TOS before he even ever tried to post to Zuckerberg's wall.

Having dealt with fellow developers that don't have perfect english or thick accents I think it's quite unprofessional to dismiss someone's complaint without even trying to understand them. It's great for us native English speakers that it's such a dominant language but I think we should all give a little more respect for others where it's clearly not their first language and they're the ones having to go out of their way to communicate with us. I for one am glad I don't have to deal with the bilingualism, with a bit more empathy and less dismissiveness the whole thing could have been avoided.

I am not a native English speaker. Although I study in England (University of Manchester), I believe half of my course mates are not native speakers either. At least the ones who turn up to lectures. People try to explain their algorithms, ideas in broken English with damn thick accents but they DO explain. They put effort.

From what he managed to write in the blog post, he CAN write English which is not THAT bad.

But this dude doesn't really bother. Hey Facebook, there's a bug. Wanna know it? How about you... beg me to tell you?

I am quoting him: whatever , i dont care for miss spelling , just the idea , i never correct an underline red word ;)

Did FB treat it properly? No. Did he act properly? Not either. But since it's FB... THEY ARE EVIL!!!!111!

You do make a good point, but at the same time I was easily able to understand his original bug report. I agree that both sides should be making a little more effort, and engaging in a bit less drama.

He didn't make a bug report. He didn't specify how he could post to other peoples' walls. All he said was that he could, and that he already broke the ToS by using it on another person's account. This was his original report: